The Further (Mis)Adventures of Princess Thumperhead started as a "post by email" that I wrote in college. When I moved away from school, the story widened and took on a different role for me, hence the Jester's Chronicles. Quite some time has past now and I find that I am returning to telling this weird little story, or The Trials. I suggest starting from the beginning. Some characters have been around that long...In April 2012, this story will turn 15. ....and Thanks for reading.

Monday, April 12, 2021

Trials VI: Via Prophecy

A death's head raven flys over the walls of Gothex's defenses crossing the fields where soldiers train, it banks left and heads toward the tallest building located centrally in side the enormous wall.  It knows to fly to the top window and land on the table.

A dozen men turn when the raven touched down on the edge of the table they were convened around.

Saing moves towards the bird, "Ah my pet and what news do you bring me?".  Lifting the small scroll from the leg of the bird the Baron reads his dispatch.  "Damn you Fool!  How has this been true the whole time?"

The group turns toward the man seated in a chair near the edge of the room.

He clears his throat and says, "I'm sure that the Baron is about to explain how the Cartage Enclave has been able to stay hidden this long."

"It would appear that you, my whimsical friend, have known the entire time what these Cartage mongrels want, and you've done nothing about it." the Baron snapped in retort.

"Baron, I understand your misgivings. As you and your General," the Jester nods to Di'Rand "have been securing Gothex's borders, the Children's Revolution gained a great deal of traction. Many defectors flocked to their standard. The Troll of Kend'hall took in many of the leaders and Draconni's money bought the silence of the surrounding towns. After that is was merely a combination of time and pressure. Azon, Augustus, Gregor took whole swathes of troops with them into concealment. If I, myself hadn't been nearly slain in an assassination attempt, we would know even less."

Saing closes on the Jester, a mere handsbreath away and says in a growl, "I should kill you for letting this rot fester in my kingdom. Now I must root it out and burn it to ash." Returning to the table Saing signals for a runner. "Girl, find me Burl Hatchling."

The aid bowed, "Of course my lord" and left with chamber at almost a run.

"Di'Rand, take three Wraith-class air sloops and return to the Riverlands. Finish the Western Campaign and place Commander Cristos in charge as governor. His loyalty and ingenuity should at long last be rewarded. In the mean time, Hatchlings creatures shall roam the valleys of Kend'hall and ensnare my quarry."

The General salutes, "My liege, it shall be done.", turns and takes most of his general staff with him.

"Goettch, and what do you have to report on my zealot thorn?"

"I spoke with the Celetial Monks and they have no quarrel with you. It was told that they would be moving on in a few weeks in accordance with their traditions."

"Good" the Baron replied, "You are dismissed".

As Goettch was about to leave, the Jester asked, "Any word of Benedict? His escape was widely reported?"

"No. But you may want to speak with Captain Iskriger, she may know more than I."

 "That name isn't familiar to me, where would I find her?" the Jester asked.

Goettch ignored the question as he left the room.

"The rest of you are dismissed." Saing commanded and the room emptied. "Not you, Fool."

"But of course, old friend. How can I be of service?"

"This Children's Revolution cannot persist. It will kill this empire with its rot and weakness. It must be dealt with before the year is out."

"You over estimate your enemies. The Troll is far older and weaker then most think. And that wastrel of a wife, the pressures upon her must be overwhelming. She'll crack and soon. The traitorous knights, will be caught and quartered. I've even heard there is a prophecy, the 'Wind and the Crone'. I believe the wind in this case is a man named Dur Direj."

"Your stories do not interest me. These traitors shall be undone." Saing gathers up some maps and leaves the war room.

The Jester sits in the corner and gazes out the windows. Dark clouds gather on the horizon as he muses aloud "I hope I've done enough."


No comments: